Draft strategy on exhibition for public comment
A draft Rural Villages Strategy has gone on public exhibition from 29 July to 30 September 2015.
The document identifies and explores issues and opportunities for the villages, while taking into account the principles of sustainable planning, council and state government priorities and the opinions and desires expressed by the Tweed community.
It defines a vision, strategic goals and a set of actions which apply to the rural villages.
The actions have been grouped into themes:
- Development in harmony with nature - basing any new development on a set of specific principles (regenerative development principles)
- Building on assets - planning for the sustainable future of the region based on its key assets: nature, culture and people
- Strengthening the economy - promoting entrepreneurship and assisting existing and emerging small businesses
- Appropriate role, size and scale of villages - including ensuring villages maintain their role in the hierarchy of settlements
- Village-specific initiatives for individual rural villages
Consultation has concluded